Wednesday, August 20, 2014

A Touch of Embroidery

Nearly finished with my black and white challenge quilt, "Cat Noir."  One of the requirements of the challenge is to incorporate embroidery.

I had always planned for my femme fatale to be holding a handkerchief, so a monogram was only natural.   The challenge said the embroidery could be either hand or machine, so I chose both.

I needed a very sheer fabric for her handkerchief to make it stand out, so I used a doll apron I found in my stash, took off the ruffle and moved the lace to the new edge.   This is a very loose weave fabric, so I traced my monogram which I'd printed off my laptop onto Sulky tear away stabilizer and machine basted it for embroidery.

I free-motion stitched the entire letter in white 100 silk and carefully cut away the stabilizer (Sulky makes a great tear-away, but the fabric would have distorted if I'd pulled instead of cut).  Then I hand stitched around the white with a single stand of dark gray DMC embroidery floss to make it pop.

I had already quilted the areas under Clawdette's paw so the handkerchief could just be hand stitched on top.
It gave it just the floaty 3D effect I'd wanted.

No comments:

Post a Comment