As if I needed another reason to only use 100% silk thread to appliqué and quilt; I discovered when I was making last year's challenge quilt (Quilt Like an Egyptian), that if it turns out that the thread doesn't match as well as you thought it would, you can fix it.
Among its many attributes, silk is very dyeable. You can touch up sections of stitched silk thread with gel pens or inks and heat set to make them blend beautifully.
For example, here is the back of "Cat Noir." Both sides feature written 'dialogue, and I knew the quilting would probably cut right through it on the back.
I used light gray in the bobbin to match the background of the text, and when I was finished, I went back over the text on the back with a black Micron pigment pen and heat set it.
Later I'll camouflage the other light stitching with Tsukineko black and gray inks, and voilà; both sides of my quilt will tell their story.
No comments:
Post a Comment